Wrong Foods

8. I found some chocolate candies in the room of my diabetic mother – she claims one of the nurse’s aides gave them to her. Can I file suit for neglect?

The nursing home’s failure to prevent your mother’s consumption of foods dangerous to her is a symptom of negligence or neglect. As a practical matter, however, an attorney will not pursue a negligence case against a nursing home if there has been no significant injury or damage to the nursing home resident.

When you discover that the nursing home is not honoring your mother’s special diet, you should advise the administrator of your concerns in writing.