Kicked Out?

4. It took me 6 months to find a nursing home for my elderly father – if I hire a lawyer, won’t they kick him out or treat him worse?

When you arranged for your father to live in the nursing home, you signed paperwork that set forth the rental agreement. If you seek the counsel of a lawyer regarding a claim for damages, your lawyer will review the rental agreement and advise you as to the legal rights your father has to stay.

Filing a claim with the State or retaining a lawyer does not release the nursing home from its obligations to provide your father with a safe and clean living environment.

Obviously, if you have reached the point where you are consulting with a lawyer like me about damages, you should have some concern regarding the safety of the nursing home.  Perhaps it is time to begin the search for a new living facility.